Representing the local community of Ingleton Parish

How the Parish Council Works


Parishes are the smallest areas of civil administration in England and parish councils are statutory local authorities set up under the Local Government Act 1972. The parish council raises the money it needs for its work from local taxation called the precept. This is collected by the district council and paid back to the parish council in two six-monthly instalments.  Extra money can be raised from grants and awards. No money is received direct from central government.  At present there is no limit to the amount that a parish council can precept.

Ingleton Parish Council consists of 10 councillors and elections are held every four years. If there are insufficient candidates, members can be co-opted.  Sub-committees may be set up so that smaller groups of councillors can progress different projects, reporting back to the full council at its regular monthly meetings.  These meetings receive reports from and may question the Police, county and district councillors. Members of the public are also welcome to attend to raise issues of local concern.

The parish council is an essential part of the structure of local democracy and has a vital role in acting on behalf of the local community that it represents.  Its broad function is to:

  • give views on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the parish;
  • undertake projects and schemes that benefit local residents;
  • work in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the parish;
  • alert relevant authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken and;
  • help the other tiers of local government to keep in touch with the community.

The money raised by Ingleton Parish Council is spent primarily in the following areas:

  • provision and maintenance of street lighting;
  • maintenance of the park and other flower beds;
  • grass cutting on verges, around the community centre, The Brow and around other flower beds;
  • provision and maintenance of the children's play area, multi-use sports area;
  • grants to community projects;
  • maintenance of public toilets in the park and community centre car park;
  • Clerk to the Council salary.

Other powers that parish councils have are listed under Local Government Act 1972.

What the parish Council has achieved so far:

Since its formation in 1894 Ingleton Parish Council has been involved in a number of projects that benefit the local community, improve the tourist experience and help local businesses. These include:

  • A multi-use sports area
  • A children's play area
  • Provision of village signs
  • A programme of improved street lighting
  • The youth leisure facility at Mealbank Quarry
  • Flower beds in the park, village entrance on New Road and Central Gardens
  • Ingleton Pump Track

Current News

The field between Clarrick Terrace and the sewage works has been identified as a possible site for allotments, although if this proves an acceptable choice to applicants access would have to be improved and additional parking provided.  Planning permission has been obtained for the site and an access agreement has now been negotiated.  The relevant leases have been drawn up and should be signed in the near future.  Instruction for the access gate has been given and once this is completed the short piece of track to the field will be built.

The play area in the park has been well used for many years, and as it is inevitably now showing signs of wear the Parish Council is considering plans for its refurbishment. Work has now been completed on the existing holes, but it is likely large areas will have to be replaced in the future.

Discussion took place at the recent Parish Council meeting regarding the possibility of leaving the Brow uncut except for trimming a width either side of the existing paths to allow ease of access for pedestrians.

If anyone is interested in becoming a volunteer at Ingleton Library, even if it is only an hour a week, please speak to a member of staff or the Community Centre manager. 

For any reports on road repairs and street signs sign up with the Highways Portal at: